The old bridge. The original structure dated back to the late twelfth century.
This extract from the Domesday Map of 1086 marks the ford that provided a river crossing between the Manor of Hampton Court and the important town of Kingston upon Thames from pre-Roman times.
The new bridge was opened in 1828.
To pay for the construction and maintenance of the bridge, tolls were charged.
Celebrations on 12 March 1870 when the bridge was finally freed from tolls. A few days later, the toll gates were ceremonially burned at a massive party on Hampton Court Green.
The original bridge was narrow.
Work on the bridge widening during 1913
The doubled width of the bridge.
The bridge was again widened (and strengthened) 1998-2001. The new bridge sections were precast in a factory and assembled on site.