The Diana Fountain in Bushy Park. Originally created for Somerset House in the 1630s, the fountain has stood since 1713 in Bushy Park, and now forms a large traffic island in Chestnut Avenue.
Chestnut Sunday started in 1837
A bicycle meet draws the crowds.
Cycles, carts, cars, carriages and a motor omnibus.
London Transport poster 1930.
Bushy House was used as a hospital in the First World War.
1918 - 1932: After the war ended, the King granted Upper Lodge to the London County Council as a holiday ‘open air’ school for poor boys from the East End of London who were suffering from respiratory diseases. It was known as the King’s Canadian School
After the United States of America entered the war in 1942, their forces took over many of the temporary buildings in Bushy Park which had been erected to replace bombed out London offices. Eisenhower used the Park in the final preprartion phase for the D-day landings in 1944.
Second World War camp buildings.
The Ice House in Home Park. This building was constructed in the late 17th century and was designed for the storage of ice. Once stored the ice could be used throughout the summer for preparing summer desserts, cooling wines and preserving meat and fish.